As per Amtrak Pets Policy Pets are not allowed on Amtrak trains without a kennel or carrier, but they can be transported in cars and buses as long as they are in carriers that are small enough to fit under the seat or next to you on the bus.
Small dogs and cats can travel for $26 or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points.
Dogs and cats up to 20 pounds (combined weight of pet and carrier) are accepted on most routes for travels up to seven hours (some restrictions apply*). Our simple check-in procedure makes travelling with your dog friend convenient and enjoyable.
* Dogs and cats are the only pets that are allowed to travel. Pets are not allowed to travel within Canada on the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, or Amtrak Cascades, or on the Auto Train, Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor, or Thruway Connecting Services.
- There’s a maximum of five pets per train (service animals do not count towards this limit), so we encourage you to make your pet reservations in advance.
- Reservations are limited to one pet per customer.
- Pet fee is assessed for each travel segment.
- Pets are permitted in Coach Class and Acela Business Class (pets are not allowed in Sleeping cars, non-Acela Business Class, food service cars or other accommodations).
- Reservations with pets are limited to seven hours total travel time, including transfer time between trains on multiple-segment trips.
- Pets cannot be booked with multi-ride tickets, Thruway Connection Services or with unaccompanied minors.
- In the event of a service disruption, Amtrak will make reasonable efforts to seek (but cannot guarantee) pet-friendly hotel accommodations, if sheltering is necessary.
- Pet owners must provide a pet carrier, which may be hard or soft sided but must be leak proof and well ventilated..
- Maximum weight of pet with carrier is 20 pounds.
- The maximum size for pet carriers is 19″ long x 14″ wide x 10.5″ high.
- For your pet’s comfort and safety, it must be able to sit, lie down and remain entirely inside without touching the sides of the carrier.
- Your pet carrier counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Tips for Safe Train Travel With Pets
Train travel can be a great option for people who want to travel with their pets. The train is a safe, comfortable and affordable way to travel with your pet. But it is important to know the best seats for your cat or dog.
Pets are a great companion when you travel, but they can be a hassle to take on the train. Here are some tips for travelling with your furry friends.
The first thing to do is to make sure that your pet is comfortable and safe on the train.
The second step is to make sure that your pet has enough food and water.
Third, pack a bag of kitty litter in case of emergencies.
Lastly, make sure that you have a leash or harness in case you need to walk your pet during the journey.
Pets Home App connecting pet lovers from all over the world who have the desire to adopt, buy and sell pets online in a safe, friendly, and completely transparent environment. Buy and adopt a dog, cat, puppy, kittens, fish, rabbits, birds and exotic pets near you or worldwide.